Sunday, June 29, 2008

Nonprofit Plant


I do not claim to be a writer, but I do feel like I have a story to tell. If one person connects to my story in some way, then this blog has done it’s job.


I recently created a list of things that I want to do before I’m 65. One item on that list is to help someone start a nonprofit. I would like to do this not only locally, but also over seas. I often hear of people in the ministry going to places like Central America to plant churches. I would like to plant nonprofits.


My vision is to spend sometime getting to know the needs of the community and the heart of the people. Find someone in that community whose heart match the people’s needs. Then help them form a team and start a nonprofit to meet the communities’ needs. It is not that people in impoverished countries do not want to help themselves; it’s that they have not been provided with the resources. I just skimmed over an article that said on average people in our world receive 9.3 years of formal education. One of my college professors said that only 2% of the world’s population has a college education. When I graduate in May I will be done with 19 years of formal education and have a Masters degree. That is ridiculous! I am incredibly privileged to have grown up in America where I have had so many educational opportunities. After I receive more experience in the nonprofit field I want to go help others help their communities. Share my education, a gift given to me.

No comments: