Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Home

For the past 6 weeks or so I have been attending a church named New Community. It is a church plant that started about a year ago in Braselton. It’s amazing to me how I ended up there, and kind of a long story. But the story ended with 2 dreams I had the night before I attended my first service there. This is one of them:

I dreamed that as I walked up to the church (currently meeting at a school) the doors opened for me as I approached the building. I don’t remember the conversations I had with people as I entered, but I felt really welcomed. I then sat down and everyone disappeared from around me. Then all the doors and windows opened and light filtered into the room. I sat there thinking “this is home.”

I just read NC’s vision statement on their website, it reads: “New Community will be a place that leads people to passionately love God. Matthew 22:37-39 says that we are to love God with every bit of who we are. Our desire is to create a community that will not only challenge people to enter into a relationship with God through Jesus, but also give them the tools necessary through discipleship that will allow them to passionately love God every day.

New Community believes that if we can move people along in their faith journey to passionately love God, then consistently loving others will be the result. Our vision is that everyone who comes to New Community will be accepted, loved, and encouraged to connect with what God is doing at New Community. As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13, we can be all kinds of great things, but if we don’t have love, we are only noise (paraphrase). If there is one thing that will define New Community, it will be LOVE.”

They are living out their vision well. One of the most difficult things after graduating college has been trying to find a church to call home. NC’s mission statement says “create community” and “give them the tools necessary” (aka “empower”) in the same sentence. This is a social worker’s dream come true! Add in “Jesus, relationship and love,” and my dream has come true… New Community is home. It has taken me a year to get here and I have been blessed by a couple of amazing churches along the way but, I think I’m gonna chill at New Community for a while.

NC is currently renovating an old school/factory building to make their facility. They have allowed me to be apart of this endeavor (encouraging me to connect with what God is doing at NC). It is amazing to see the love poured out and watching the old being restored into something new to glorify God. That’s the Gospel right there…I like it!

3 comments:

Amy Tarleton said...

you had to post the creepy picture!

Anonymous said...

Awesome...almost made me cry (which is kinda easy) Really, really great! And...the picture is beautiful:)

Anonymous said...

The comment above is from Kelly ....Gregg does not cry as easily as I do...:)