Saturday, October 25, 2008

Beauty and the Beast

John 10:10 says the thief comes to steal, kill and destroy. So often as a Christian I think about God, but I forget that there is a thief, Satan, out there who is fighting for our souls too. I believe the easiest way for Satan to get a hold of our souls is by creating lies that we believe in. We then carry those lies around as truths.

When I was a girl I remember looking into the mirror and thinking that I was “ugly.” I wanted to have straight blonde hair, blue eyes and to be short and skinny. I wanted to look that way because that is what society always said was “pretty.” Instead, I had dark, curly brown hair, hazel eyes and I was not exactly a petite little thing. In my eyes I was the antonym for “pretty.” These were the lies Satan wanted me to believe, he had a crushing grip on my Spirit.

I remember one day late in my high school career I was sitting in front of the mirror and thought to myself “wow, I have really pretty eyes.” For the first time in my life I saw a glimpse of what God sees, not what Satan wanted me to see. I remembered the verse from Psalms 139 where it says “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” At that moment I realized that for my whole life I had been criticizing God’s creation, Me. How much did I hurt God, my Creator each time I called His masterpiece that He had so thoughtfully put together, as ugly? That day, I saw the heart of God. For the first time I looked at God’s creation, myself, through the Creator’s eyes. I realized that I am beautiful.

During the past couple of weeks I have observed that it’s not only me whose been captured by the lies of Satan, but also many of my friends believe these lies. For years I have been sitting in rooms of females, and whether they’re 12 years old or 30 years old, so many of them feel the same, they are imperfect. I believe women have insecurities (body-image is only one of the many) planted into their mind by Satan at a very early age. Satan knows if he can make a woman insecure he can crush her joyful Spirit. I’m sick of these deceitful lies! I want women to really, truly see what God sees and know that they are beautiful, intelligent and incredibly talented. We do not need to compare ourselves to each other, but love ourselves the Creator does. Because we are created in God’s image, and that is beautiful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are beautiful, inside and out!

Melanie said...

amen to this, sister!
At some point, every female alive has likely bought into the lie that she’ll never be pretty enough, tall enough, skinny enough, worthy enough...it's so sad how misunderstood "beauty" is in our culture. We have picked one "kind" of woman and said that this is the only thing that is beautiful. And I know God watches and is saddened by the fact that we have only chosen one “type” of beauty to call beautiful.
Uh...yeah, I guess I get pretty fired up about this topic :)