
This Christmas was a good one, a very good one. I asked for a watch and a jacket and not much more. This past year God has shown me so much need in the lives of people around me. Seeing other's needs made it difficult for me to ask for more things when I already have so much. However, my sisters got me two of the best gifts I have ever received.
Gift #1: I love art, but it has been a while since I've dabbled. I mentioned to Cara during Thanksgiving that I wanted to start making art again, but I couldn't afford to do so. For Christmas she got me an acrylic paint set with brushes and a couple small canvas boards. I'm so excited about going home and diving in. I've always done more 3-d art but I'm stoked about trying my hand in painting.
Gift #2: Joyce told me I had to wait and open their present last. I already had received a jacket, a watch, and an amazing art set; I had no idea what this present could be. I finally begged them into letting me open my gift. Inside I found two solid colored long-sleeved t-shirts, making it a fantastic gift since I layer my clothes just about everyday. But, there was more....under the shirts was a picture frame with a letter on top that read:
"Jenna, we know that you have a heart for Guatemalan children...so we are sponsoring Wendy in your honor for the next year. I hope you enjoy communicating with her! Love, Joyce and Chris"
Inside the picture frame is a picture of Wendy with her story.
During my Sophomore year of college I did a project about the social and emotional effects of international adoption on a child's development. While doing research I looked through tons of pictures and read a lot of children's stories. That is when I fell in love with the children of Guatemala. (It is also when I became interested in social work.) I told my family that if I ever adopt a child from another county it will be from Guatemala. When I studied in Chile I spent some time helping out in an orphanage (pictured), but the children of Guatemala continue to be my heart. This was the best gift ever!
Ironically, every time I went into a store or turned on the radio this Christmas season Feliz Navidad was playing. i Feliz Navidad Prospero Año y Felicidad!
1 comment:
oh good grief, Jenna...that seriously is crazy!! We even get the same "favorite gifts"!!! geeeeeez
so awesome....WHEN ARE WE HANGING OUT AGAIN
Post a Comment