Friday, March 27, 2009

Wallflower

This morning I had the opportunity to go and speak to a group of about 40-50 (I'm bad at estimating) 8th grade girls. The topic was self-respect. It was refreshing to speak to a group about something I am actually passionate about. For the past 6 years of my life I have been stuck doing presentation after presentation of information that means really nothing to me, or anyone else in the class. My favorite ones in college were my 10 minute presentations in my upper level Spanish classes. (NOT!) You think people zone out when you speak in English!

Anyway, this morning I was talking about how we all have worth, we are all needed. I asked the girls to raise their hands if they wanted to be a teacher when they grow up. One girl raised her hand. I then asked them to raise their hand if they wanted to be a doctor or nurse, and then again if they wanted to do something with computers. (many more hands were raised for those occupations) I then asked what if we all wanted to all be teachers, where would we go when we are sick? Or, what if we were all doctors, who would fix our computers? I pointed to the girl who wants to be a teacher, I looked her in the eyes and said..."see we need you to teach!" I wish you could see her face at that moment. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. She was sitting in the front row kind of away from all the other students. She was not dressed like them, she looked quiet, insecure, a wallflower. The moment I pointed to her and said "we need you" everything broke free. Her eyes lite up, a huge smile swept across her face. I don't know her story, but I felt like it was the first time she ever heard she was needed. The first time anyone every noticed her in a crowd. Good way to start the day.

No comments: