Friday, August 15, 2008

Growing up


Yesterday I went kayaking for my first time. I liked kayaking, it was a beautiful day and it was fun to hang out with Kristi and Jane outside of class. However, I’ve stepped in puddles that are deeper than the Broad River…I won’t be going back there. I knew it was going to be a long trip when they had to tell us which direction the river was moving in!

Tonight I’m driving to Covington to my good friends’ Christie and Daniel’s house for Dan’s b-day. Christie and I have been friends since we were 2. We were next-door neighbors, started elementary school together, were roommates freshman year of college, and graduated from GC&SU together. Christie and I are as different as two friends come. She’s always been a soft spoken girly-girl. Growing up her favorite games were house and school, her favorite color is pink and she loved wearing dresses with sparkly shoes. Growing up I was the free-spirited tom boy. My favorite games involved playing in the woods and messy art projects, my favorite color was blue and I wore Umbros and a t-shirt with no shoes as often a possible.

Christie Johnston is no longer playing school and house but is now Mrs. Clotfelter, school teacher and home owner. Even though Christie and I are so different we have always been in the same stage of life…until now. It’s a little bitter-sweet. I look forward to someday being in the stage she’s currently in, but I’m not ready for it yet. I enjoy where I’m at in life and believe God is using me, just as He’s using Christie. It’s good, just weird to me that we’re no longer in it together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You a tom boy, never, Miss. Ninja Turtle wanna be....do you remember Jenna Jiggs?