I each lunch at a middle school each week with a girl I mentor. Last she was absent and I ended up hanging out with a couple of her friends. Both of these girls were in trouble that day and were sitting at a table with assigned seats. I noticed one of the girls was crying, we'll call her Sara.
I went and sat next to Sara and asked what was wrong. She looked down avoiding eye contact with me, crying while drawing tear drops on a piece of paper. I was thinking to myself "wow, this is going to be awkward if she won't talk to me." I tell her how cool her drawing is and she immediately opened up. Sara was upset because she didn't really understand why she was in trouble and had to sit at that table stuck with all the annoying boys and nobody to talk to. I said "well, you have me." We sat there for the next 30 minutes chatting away. She let me look through her art and poetry. One in particular stood out to me and I asked if I could have a copy. She gave it to me today. This is what is says:
"If anyone got to see the inside of me would they realize just who I really am?
Would they Love that side of me?
Or would they still care if I'm OK?
Would they still Love me the same?
Would they still care?
Or Would they care at all?"
She then drew 2 hearts, one is broken and says "broken hearted" the other is whole and says "loved."
I get to love her each week! She is craving love. A safe love. She doesn't know Jesus, but she knows me... She's in 6th grade, we are just beginnning our journey together. This excites me!
Inside-Out Girl's Weekend is this weekend...more to come on that!
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have subscribed to your blog feed because it is always good. I can't wait to serve with you this weekend.
"She doesn't know Jesus, but she knows me."
"By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35
Dare I say that she has seen Jesus, Jenna? Hmmmmmm.
You got me JP.
Post a Comment